The importance and process of Pre-Employment Screening with Havensec Solutions
Pre-employment screening is a process that allows employers to verify information such as education, prior job history and performance. In addition the screening process reveals important information about a candidate’s prior behaviour which can help an employer assess potential risk posed by the candidate. Employers who utilize pre-employment screening as a part of their recruitment process realize a number of important benefits. One of those benefits is a general improvement in the quality of applicants which ultimately leads to better workers, higher productivity, increased quality, and lower employee turnover.
Simply announcing to all applicants the intention to conduct background checks will discourage some candidates from applying. As most candidates will be more likely to represent themselves honestly. Statistically 51% of all resumes contain inaccuracies in employment, job performance and educational achievement. Equally important, the announcement will encourage some high risk candidates with criminal backgrounds to eliminate themselves, which saves time and money in the recruitment process. Conversely, the announcement does not discourage good qualified applicants who know their background check will not reveal significant problems.
The return on investment for background checks is easily realized in turnover reduction. Background checking helps prevent the hiring of a problem employee which will ultimately become a turnover statistic. With the cost of a third party provided background check generally less than a single day’s pay, it is not hard to see a fast hard dollar return while the longer term benefits of productivity, quality, and increased customer satisfaction are being realized.
An employer can reduce their risk of negligent hiring liability by implementing a reasonable and consistent background checking program as a part of their recruitment process. The program should contain the following elements:
- The background check should be consistent with the specifics of the job. If the position operates a vehicle, then a driving record check should be performed. If the position has little contact with others then a rigorous check may not be required.
- Review the job application for gaps in employment. The applicant should provide a reasonable explanation for any gaps listed on the application. If they cannot provide a reasonable explanation, then an investigation is in order.
- Verify all employment and education claims on the application and resume. Check all references that are provided.
- Document all reference and background checks that were performed. Make note of the references or employers who did not respond.
- Be consistent and follow the process that has been established. It is important to take all the necessary steps in spite of time pressure to fill a position.
- It’s better to be safe than sorry. When in doubt take the extra step and conduct a more thorough search.